Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Love and Honor

to IFS
date Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 10:07 AM
subject Love and Honor

Huong and I saw Love and Honor last night and really liked it. It
seemed entirely believable to us. The gossipy, unhelpful relatives
fit exactly with how Huong describes her family.
After the film I mentioned to Huong that I felt Kayo truly loved
Mimura and that he wasn't aware for the most part what she felt for
him. Huong said 'The person who wrote the story knows exactly what
they want in a relationship.' She went on to point out that Mimura
never disparaged Kayo, even when he suspected her misdeeds. When his
Aunt came to gossip he defended his wife strongly.

I think the thing that surprised me the most was how strong a
character Kayo really was. On the surface she is the dutiful wife,
but what I noticed the strongest was that she was dutiful out of love
- not obligation.

Anyways - great film. Later this week we're going to go rent The
Twilight Samurai (I saw it at IFS a few years ago and liked it then)
and The Hidden Blade.

Thanks,
Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.