Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Ellen Maslow



This post is to share my sadness at the passing of Ellen Maslow. She was a vibrant member of the Boulder Film Alliance and took on the challenge of bringing great films that she felt would help people process difficult issues of our time. She often did this at great personal expense - one time bringing in a screening of HEARTS AND MINDS which I know cost her an arm and a leg. It's one of the best docs ever made on why we go to war, and with our blunders in Iraq in full bloom at that time it was an important film to revisit. That was Ellen: doing what was right, no matter the price.

I wish I could be at the memorial this Thursday, but I'll be hitting the road for Telluride that morning. Last time I saw Ellen was a few months ago for a bite at the Southern Sun. She looked very frail but still had that optimistic glimmer in her eye that she could beat it. Ellen was a staunch fighter for social justice and shared of herself freely. She told me some pretty amazing stories and lived through a lot craziness - always finding ways to be better for it. And we were all better for knowing her.

Rest in peace, Ellen:

http://www.presenttensefilms.com/

3 comments:

  1. I worked with Ellen at "The Loft" in Brooklyn and learned something new from her almost every day. I learned of her passing, by chance, when I attempted to get in touch with her today after not seeing her since 1976. She changed the lives of the young people she worked with. May you rest in peace, Ellen. - Michael Weingarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was a memorial service in NYC for Ellen Maslow in November 2009 and a reunion on the Loft "kids" in 2007. Most of the staff from the old days attended. The committee was looking for Michael Weingarten. We remembered him fondly. If anyone can tell us how to contact him, we would appreciate it. Have him contact Fannelle Collette at ferney167@yahoo.com. WE HAVE BEEN THINKING ABOUT YOU MICHAEL, AND WE WANT TO SEE YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ellen was one of my dearest friends from 1962 to 1967. When she was at our house for dinner we discussed the Vietnam war and realized that we had the same point of view. She asked me to come to the Easter peace walk in Greenwich Village in 1963. My visit that day started my firm and constant engagement in opposition to the war.I thank her for that and for her warm friendship. Neil A. Chassman nchassman@woodstockdayschool.org

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.