Walt Disney’s educational I’m No Fool series (made from 1955 to 1957) are the first projected films I can remember. In
second grade, Mrs. Galloway, who was probably at or exceeding retirement age,
gathered us around the out-of-tune upright piano and taught us to belt out rousing renditions of My Country ‘tis
of Thee and America the Beautiful.
When she tired of that (or perhaps wanted a nap behind her desk) she’d haul out the battered Korean War-era 16mm projector and spool up one of these gems:
The theme song (“Oh, I’m no fool, nosiree…”) still leaps to
mind from time to time.
I wonder if schools show these anymore. Or do they merely
encourage the children (like a Roadrunner cartoon) to stick their fingers into
light sockets, ride their bikes off cliffs, etc.?
It also occurs to me that the series is pretty death-heavy ("But fools find out / when it's too late / that they don't live so long."). How much does a second-grader really think about what the termination of existence means? On the other hand, that's what makes this series so awesome!
It also occurs to me that the series is pretty death-heavy ("But fools find out / when it's too late / that they don't live so long."). How much does a second-grader really think about what the termination of existence means? On the other hand, that's what makes this series so awesome!
The series ran thusly:
- I'm No Fool With A Bicycle (10/06/55)
- I'm No Fool With Fire (12/01/55)
- I'm No Fool As A Pedestrian (10/08/56)
- I'm No Fool with Water (11/15/56)
- I'm No Fool Having Fun (12/15/56)
- I'm No Fool in a Car (1957)
- I'm No Fool in an Emergency (1957)
- I'm No Fool in Unsafe Places (1957)
- I'm No Fool in Unsafe Places II (1957)
- I'm No Fool on Wheels (1957)
- I'm No Fool with Safety at School (1957)
- I'm No Fool with Electricity (1957)
P.S. -- Mrs. Galloway, if you're reading this, I'm sorry for being such a little asshole in class. They didn't have good ADHD meds back then.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.